A patient who has suffered from Obesity for years, once he makes the decision, is anxious to have an operation. However, do not hurry.
The surgical treatment of Obesity is a process and as such, it is necessary to complete a series of stages. This will guarantee both the success of the surgery and the possibility of sustaining the benefits in the long term.
In this phase it is evaluated if the patient is a good candidate for the surgery and is prepared physically and psychically to arrive in the best conditions to the intervention.
The nutritional status is evaluated: percentage of excess weight, body mass index, eating behaviors, etc.
A diet is indicated and work is being done on the improvement of dietary habits, which will contribute to. to meet one of the basic conditions for surgery: lose at least 10% of the initial weight.
A general clinical evaluation of the Obesity is carried out and the need for interconsultations is determined. This allows us to assess and manage the surgical risks for associated diseases to obesity.
It is determined if there are psychological disorders or psychiatric pathologies that should be treated before the surgery. Therapeutic containment is provided at all stages of treatment.
b) Pre-clinical Studies
Once it has been defined the most appropriate surgical procedure, a series of ex- haustments are made. Some of them are common to any intervention and others are specific to obesity.
Blood tests (Hemogram, Thyroid and liver tests, Coagulation test, Urine test, Metabolic syndrome assessment, renal function)
After these studies have been evaluated by the medical team, it is time to go to the consultation with the Anesthesiologist .
Once the surgery date has been agreed, the patient must sign the informed consent by which he / she agrees that he / she knows and accepts both the surgical risks and their responsibilities after the surgery. a.
Intern time :
In general, the patient goes inside the same day. to set for surgery, unless you are instructed to do so before (eg, diabetics who use insulin) and stay in the hospital: one night in the case of Gastric Band & between 3 and 5 days in the Gastric Bypass and Sleeve Gastrectomy
Recommendations for this stage:
Once the procedure is performed, when the surgeon indicate, the patient should getting up, walking, taking deep breaths and coughing, to prevent respiratory complications or blood clots.
- The first day after the surgery can not be done. consume nothing by mouth, you will be administered analgesics and hydration through a serum.
- According to your evolution, you will be allowed to. ingested liquids in limited quantity, they should be consumed in small sips and slowly and then, a liquefied diet (foods of soft consistency, almost liquid).
- From day 1 & ordm; post to high: Duty maintain frequent contact with the nutrition specialist, who will assist you; in the selection of foods, in order to test the tolerance and promote the adaptation to the new situation.
- Between 7 & ordm; and the 10 & ordm; day of surgery : Duty Request a shift for the first post-surgical check with the surgeon. The same will perform a general examination and of the healing of the surgical wounds.
- During the first 3 months : Duty perform one query per month , with each member of the team.
- Within the first year of operation : Duty perform a query every 2 months , with each member of the team.
Recommendations for this stage:
- Continue the indicated diet by the nutritionist. Do not try new foods before being indicated by the professional team
- Each food portion, that is to say each meal, must be of
- Eat several times a day , do not let more than 2 hours pass without eating food
- < strong> Do not overeat , stop eating the moment you start to feel satisfied.
- Eat each meal slowly, chewing thoroughly each bite before swallowing. Do not exceed more than 30 minutes in front of the plate of food.
- Take at least 2 liters from liquid to the day
- Do not drink liquids with meals and wait thirty minutes thereafter.
- The lunches between meals are unlimited but remember from do not drink carbonated drinks , alcohol, coffee or any other beverage with coffee.
- Try to maintain a life Activate and resume your daily activities as soon as possible.
- Walk at least twenty minutes each day. If you do not have enough resistance start with less time and progressively increase until you reach twenty minutes a day.
- Do not sit or stand for long periods of time.
- Take care of your wounds, that are clean and dry.
- In case of important nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain or common fever with our medical team.
- Remember that many of the factors that govern the intake of food are sometimes psychosocial, so it is essential that you resort to the psychological support of our Program.